Tuesday 16 April 2013

What Makes a Good Teacher?

This is my response to the Rhode Island Teacher Resignation video. I'll post the link at the bottom.

Honestly, good on this guy. He's got morals, and he's not willing to compromise them for a paycheck. This is what a teacher is. A teacher is so much more than someone who sits at the front of the class during the school day. A teacher has to want to teach, and has to enjoy it. It makes me really happy to know there's still plenty of teachers out there who love to teach. I'm not saying that there's not a lot of them. In my school, more often the not, the teacher is phenomenal and much more than a text book reader and talking head. But often, their creativity for lesson plans and new ideas for teaching are repressed by old rules and regulations. I believe that teachers should be given a little more leeway when teaching, as it's not black and white. There's is no right way to teach every single kid, because every single kid is different. Everyone learns differently, so you can't teach them all the same way. Most teachers understand this, but have difficulty catering to each students needs because of a restrictive system. I applaud Stephen for taking a stand for what he believes in.

If you'd like to see Stephen's resignation and message to teachers and kids, click here.

7 comments:

  1. I like how it feels like we are talking to me; like we are having a conversation. I completely agree with what you are saying. I can only imagine the difficulty that comes with teaching. When everyone is different and has different learning skills, you cannot follow a "black and white" protocol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree on Tessa's view too. I think some kids absorb quicker than the others, some may have different characteristics that need different teaching method. Moreover, the school this teacher used to go doesn't really treat the children as a human being. I think they treat them like a robot without feelings.This is really cruel to them.

      Delete
  2. This is so true. Teachers need lots of enthusiasm to teach and they should get their class hyped up about what they are teaching. They also need patience and a good amount of engagement. These are the qualities a good teacher needs. If only there was some sort of test that ensured that teachers were enthusiastic, patient and engaged...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree of what you said. IF the teacher doesn't want to teach but teaching us just for money and not letting us know the knowledge, they are not a good teacher at all. Students should not be treated as learning robots, they think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree any teacher that stands up for what they believe in, any teacher that stands up when he or she believes kids are beating cheated out of a proper education is a great teacher in my book. I believe that what you just said should be echoing through the minds of all teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my experience, I have learned more and better when teachers are passionate about teaching and want to teach. I liked your expression "text book reader and talking head", because it is very hard to learn when a teacher does this. It is good that you are supporting this teacher because there should be more of these kinds of teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As you said at the end of your response. It is hard for a teacher to select the right way of teaching all the students in class because mostly teachers have to chose the way of keeping the majority of students to learn. However, there may be some kids need extra help or some have extra ability of leaning further. But still, as Stephen's saying for taking the satan of what he believes in.

    ReplyDelete